Ions are nothing more than atoms that have an electrical charge, either positive or negative. Atoms are always losing and picking up electrons – sub-atomic (smaller than an atom) bits that whirl around the core of an atom, which is called the nucleus.
|This is an atom. The red sphere in the center is the nucleus. The bits whirling around the nucleus are called electrons.||This is a molecule made up of several, different types of atoms represented by the different colored spheres.|
- Under stringent test conditions, negative ions have shown that they deliver health benefits regardless of age.
- All living things require negative ions to survive.
- Oxygen, necessary for human life, carries a negative charge.
- Test subjects exposed to negative ions showed higher levels of focus and serenity.
- People with severe, chronic pain report that negative ion therapy relaxes the body and mind, enabling test subjects to better cope with their pain.
- It’s believed that negative ions extract from the environment certain bacteria that cause colds, flu and lung infection.
- Negatively charged air is refreshing. (Remember how you feel at the shore or at the foot of a waterfall? That’s because you’re breathing in high concentrations of negative ions.)
- Other benefits to health include: improved blood circulation, lowered blood pressure levels, improved sleep, joint pain relief and lessened recovery times from injury.